Friday, February 11, 2011

Badminton and I; Reunited Today


Today, badminton and I are reunited. 'Twas 2 long years and I am back in the game. And hopefully this is for good.

I seriously played badminton while in Dumaguete for some tourney events. Like I can endure 5 straight games with only having to drink water as a break. Dumaguete at that time has only one 1 court available; that's at YMCA building. As far as I can remember, they charge 120 pesos per hour. Having no work at that time, it really was expensive. Now there are two available courts with the addition of the one situted in Barangay Bagacay at the back of a small shopping center.

When I moved in Bacolod, badminton is a lot more famous. Proof is the existence of three badminton courts. It used to be four until Shuttlers closed and as I passed by it, the place is now converted as a depot. The three are Badminton east side, Arrows, and Pohang.

My first badminton game was played in Arrows thru a good friend. My succeeding games were already at East Side due to the proximity of my workplace and house during tuesdays and thursdays and even saturdays. I played for almost a year and made a lot of friends. Not to mention that many of my workmates play badminton very well.

At some point, I made a stop. Then play when invited by friends, most especially when friends are from faraway places like Jess who came all the way from Davao and when he visits Bacolod he never fails to bring his badminton gears and play. When not invited to play, I am somewhere else doing other things. So I really stopped being connected with the game.

Until today that I set foot again in this abandoned part of the city. I wore those sporty socks. I held my racket again, displayed footwork in the court, smashed, drove, dropped, cleared the shuttlecock once again. And finally I am reunited with badminton today!

8 comments:

vanessa said...

hi there..do u know someone who is a coach in badminton or club that i can join? i want to learn this sport..kindly email me at beau_210@yahoo.com to reply..thanks

Jay Cris said...

Hi vanessa. I am surprised u found this blog. Are you from bacolod? East Side, near Lopues East has available badminton trainers. Trainings are usually on MWF sched.

vanessa said...

hi jay..yes i am from bacolod..do u know how much does it cost to pay those trainers? actually, i just want to learn the basics..it's more on a hobby though..keep me posted! thanks!

Anonymous said...

hi there! my friends and I are planning to play badminton, can i ask for the contact number of eastside badminton near Lopue's East. thanks.:)

Jay Cris said...

Hi Anonymous. Pohang is more lively now. Hehe. See you there!

Unknown said...

Hi I have 3 kids who wants to have a badminton trainor and love to play badminton we are near at east side. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Hi I have 3 kids who wants to have a badminton trainor and love to play badminton we are near at east side. Thank you.

Jay Cris said...

Hi Noela. Just inquire at EastSide Badminton. They have trainers available.